Get Help

How to get help

If you need help from our foodbank there are a few simple steps to follow.

In order to provide the most appropriate help for the circumstances of your situation we work with local agencies. If they feel you are struggling to put food on the table, they will issue you with a foodbank voucher. The local agency can also provide long term support if needed to help address some of the issues behind the reasons for your crisis. Agencies we work with include: Citizens Advice, housing support officers, children’s centres, health visitors, social services and some local charities.

1. Get in touch with us.

If you call or email our foodbank we can talk through your situation and put you in touch with a relevant local agency.

We are in the office Tuesday to Friday.

2. Contact the referral agency.

They will discuss your situation and supply you with a foodbank voucher where appropriate.

3. Collecting food from a Foodbank Centre.

Your referral agency will be able to tell you when our Foodbank Centres are open.

4. Some Other Free Food Options.

You can also try other free food options – no vouchers are needed for any of these:

  • If you are on Facebook you can follow the group Kent Community Helpers (previously called Free Food in Kent and Medway)
  • If you are in the Gillingham area, Gillingham Street Angels at 43 Skinner St usually have free food available Monday-Saturday 9am – 1pm: 01634 855608
  • Brompton Community Store, 6A High St Brompton has free food available Monday – Friday 9.30am – 3pm. You may wish to call first: 01634 844711.

5. See the overall guide to emergency food support across Medway by clicking on the links below:

Free food options for all

Additional support for families with children under 5

6. Household Support Fund

  • The Household Support Fund via Medway Council is now available. This may provide help with shopping vouchers, gas and electric etc.: Click here

Back to Get Help