If you need help from our foodbank there are a few simple steps to follow.
From Mon 20th April 2020 Medway Foodbank will be working in a different way due to the ongoing Coronavirus situation.
The most important step is still to get a foodbank voucher.
In order to provide the most appropriate help for the circumstances of your situation we work with local agencies. If they feel you are struggling to put food on the table, they will issue you with a foodbank voucher. The local agency can also provide long term support if needed to help address some of the issues behind the reasons for your crisis. Agencies we work with include: Citizens Advice, housing support officers, children’s centres, health visitors, social services and some local charities.
1. Get in touch with us.
If you call or email our foodbank we can talk through your situation and put you in touch with a relevant local agency.
We are in the office Tuesday to Friday. Our delivery requests are also now being processed Tuesday to Friday. If you need food support on a Monday you can still ask an agency for a voucher and a delivery request, and it will be sent through to us ready for us to get the food out to you on a Tuesday.
2. Contact the referral agency.
They will discuss your situation and supply you with a foodbank voucher where appropriate.
Telephone them first as you may be able to do the whole process over the phone so that you can stay in. Agencies will explain the new process to you.
(Note to Agencies – if you normally give out our vouchers and you haven’t received an email from us about the new system, please contact us at [email protected]).
3. We will deliver the food.
We will deliver 3 days of emergency food to those who are unable to afford food. Contact us on 01634 757057 if you need further help.
4. Some Other Free Food Options.
You can also try other free food options – no vouchers are needed for any of these:
- If you are on Facebook you can follow the group Kent Community Helpers (previously called Free Food in Kent and Medway)
- If you are in the Gillingham area, Gillingham Street Angels at 43 Skinner St usually have free food available Monday-Saturday 9am – 1pm: 01634 855608
- Brompton Community Store, 8A High St Brompton has free food available Monday – Friday 9.30am – 3pm – you may wish to call first: 01634 844711
- If you are in Chatham the Salvation Army in Church Street are running their Bags of Hope project on Mondays and Fridays 10.30am – 1pm
If you are unable to access any of those options for food on a Monday, please call Citizens Advice Medway on 01634 383760 and they may be able to help.